POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to permit null objects? : Re: How to permit null objects? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to permit null objects?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 6 Feb 2001 08:47:20
Message: <3A7FFF03.36D3DC92@my-dejanews.com>
Warp wrote:

> Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:
> :> Use a macro.
> : Thanks but no.
>   Why not?

I am setting up a modular system for movement of characters. It
comprises:

1) One file for information on posing the character (rotation of neck,
wrist_position_point for IK, etc.)
2) Several files where a list of objects are declared (headobj, neckobj,
thighobj, wristobj, fingersegment1L3, fingersegment1L2, etc.)  Each of
these files can be a different character.
3) A file that performs transforms on the objects in #2 using the
information in #1,  and then displays the union of them.

Thus, I can have two very different characters walking with the same
style, or two versions of the same character with different walk styles.

The problem is that I wanted to show off the system with two characters:
1) a stick figure made of cylinders connecting all the joints, and
2) a figure like that I see in some anatomy art books made of blocks (no
articulated fingers).

The problem is how do I keep this modular approach if I'm missing some
objects in the file.  Perhaps Art's suggestion of defining these fingers
as sphere{0,0} is the best.